Hearty, rich and creamy comfort dish
African Peanut Soup Vegan is a perfect after work recipe, nutrient-rich dish, providing essential vitamins, minerals, and plant-based protein from the peanuts, vegetables. This can help you replenish your energy levels after a long day.
You can adjust the recipe of African Peanut Soup Vegan to your taste by adding your favorite vegetables or varying the level of spiciness.
African Peanut Soup Vegan
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece of ginger, grated
2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup peanut butter
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped collard greens/ spinach/kale
fresh coriander for garnish
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot . (optional)
2. Add the diced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until they become translucent. (You can use water frying method )
3.Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook for an additional 2 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add the sweet potato cubes. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until they start to soften.
5. Mix in the ground cumin, ground coriander, and cayenne pepper. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices.
6. Pour in the can of diced tomatoes (with their juice), and add the peanut butter. Stir until the peanut butter is fully incorporated.
7. Gradually add the vegetable broth, stirring continuously
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep in mind that the peanut butter already contains salt, so be cautious not to oversalt the stew.
9.Bring the stew to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low, and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
10.If you'd like to add greens, stir in the chopped collard greens/kale or spinach and let them wilt into the stew for an additional 3-5 minutes.
11. You can also garnish it with chopped peanuts, coriander or a squeeze of fresh lime for added flavor.
Happy Cooking 👩🍳👩🍳👩🍳