This recipe is a healthier, oil-free version of aloo gobi and still delivers delicious flavors.
In traditional Indian cooking, spices are usually heated in hot oil to release their flavors and infuse the dish. However, this oil-free aloo gobi recipe demonstrates that you can achieve similar flavor infusion without using any oil.
Overall, the oil-free vegan aloo gobi showcases a harmonious blend of savory, spicy, and slightly tangy flavors while offering a pleasant mix of textures between the tender potatoes, crunchy cauliflower, and the sauce that binds them together.
Oil Free Aloo Gobi
1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
2-3 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch piece of ginger, grated
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
Fresh coriander for garnish
. Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium heat
2. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for about 30 seconds.
3.Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. If the mixture starts sticking, add a tablespoon or two of water or vegetable broth to deglaze the pan.
4. Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften and break down, creating a thick sauce.
6. Mix in the turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, and salt. Cook the spices with the tomato mixture for a couple of minutes.
7. Add the diced potatoes and cauliflower florets to the pan. Stir well to coat them with the spice mixture.
8.Cover the pan and let the vegetables cook on low-medium heat. Check and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. If needed, add a tablespoon or two of water or vegetable broth to prevent burning.
9.Cook until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender but not mushy, usually around 15-20 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
10. Once the vegetables are cooked through, garnish with fresh coriander and serve with brown rice
Happy Cooking 👩🍳👩🍳👩🍳