Less fat, less calories, no oil - but still absolutely delicious - baked falafels
Cooking falafel without oil allows the natural flavors of the ingredients, like chickpeas and various spices, to shine through more prominently, enhancing the taste of the dish.
Oil-free falafel eliminates this added fat, making it a lower-calorie option, which can be beneficial for weight loss , management of diabetes type 2 and heart diseases. Oil-free falafel is gentler on the digestive system, making it a more comfortable choice.
OIl Free Falafels
100g dried chickpeas (do not used canned chickpeas)
1 small minced onion
3 minced garlic cloves
20g fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
1 tablespoon coriander powder
2 tablespoon of white sesame seeds
Salt/ pepper to taste
1. Soak chickpeas for at least 18 hours, ideally for 24 hours. Remember that chickpeas will triple its size, so ensure its well covered in water
2. Drain and rinse chickpeas, pat them dry
3. Add all the ingredients (except sesame seeds) to the blender and pulse it few times until mixture is well combined
4. Add sesame seeds and mix together with a spoon
5. Chill in a fridge for about 30 minutes
6. Preheat the oven to 190C
7. Scoop a tablespoon of the falafel mixture and form into a patty (1.5cm thick each). It helps to have wet hands as you form the patties. Repeat for the rest of the mixture.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes and flip falafels half the way through, bake until golden
9. Serve warm or cold, you can also freeze for up to 3 months
Happy Cooking 👩🍳👩🍳👩🍳