I see many vegan biryani around, but what I often find missing in them, are proteins.
Usually it's a delicious blend of rice, spices and vegetables
Today I would like to help you to solve this problem - quinoa biryani.
Quinoa is a good source of protein, its often referred to as a complete protein. This is because it contains all nine of the essential amino acids that your body can't make on its own.
This biryani it's a great example you can prepare a flavoursome dish without any oil
A simple swap from rice to quinoa makes this biryani a high protein dish. It's packed with flavours and scrumptious aromas.
✅185g dry quinoa
✅250g of steamed vegetables - e.g. broccoli, carrot and cauliflower
✅1 onion - finely chopped
✅4 cloves of garlic - minced
✅about 2 cm ginger -finely chopped
✅2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
✅1 teaspoon of turmeric
✅1 teaspoon of garam masala
✅1 teaspoon cardamom
✅1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
✅juice from 1 lime
✅Fresh chopped coriander or mint
1. Cook quinoa for approx 15 minutes, ensure it's fluffy
2. In a dry non- stick pan fry all the spices
3. After 1 minute add onion, garlic and ginger and fry for another 3 to 4 minutes on a low heat, constantly mixing. You can add a bit of water to prevent burning.
4. Add cooked quinoa, steamed vegetables and mix everything all nicely coated with spices.
5 Add juice from lemon and cook for another 2 minutes
6. Serve with lime and chopped coriander or mint and optional vegan yogurt on a side
Happy Cooking 👩🍳