Satisfying and savory, today I am sharing plant-based version of traditional quiche
Vegan and gluten free, ideal for plant based healthy breakfast , brunch. 'Eggy' black salt, 'cheesy' nutritional yeast adss the familiar flavours of classic quiche
Tofu and quinoa are the primary ingredient in this quiche, and it provides a significant amount of protein
Tofu has a soft and creamy texture that, when blended and seasoned well, can resemble the texture of eggs found in traditional quiche recipes, you won't even know it's vegan! This makes it a suitable replacement for eggs in the filling, creating a custardy and smooth consistency.
For the crust:
🔸1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained)
🔸2 cups water
🔸1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling
🔸400g firm tofu
🔸1 small onion, finely chopped
🔸2 cloves garlic, minced
🔸2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
🔸1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk
🔸1/2 cup nutritional yeast
🔸1 tablespoon cornstarch
🔸1 teaspoon turmeric
🔸1/2 teaspoon black salt (Kala Namak) for an eggy flavor
🔸1 tablespoon mustard
🔸cherry tomatoes for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C
2. In a pan, combine the quinoa, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let it cool for a few minutes.
3. Transfer the cooked quinoa to a 23 cm pie dish. Press it down firmly and evenly to create a crust. Bake the crust in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes until it's slightly golden and set. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. In a pan sauté onion for about 3-4 minutes until it becomes translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
5. Add the chopped spinach to the skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes until wilted.
6. In a blender or food processor, combine tofu, milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, turmeric,black salt and mustard. Blend until smooth and creamy.
7. Mix the tofu mixture with the cooked spinach and onions.
8. Pour the tofu and spinach filling into the pre-baked quinoa crust, spreading it out evenly.
9. Bake the quiche in the oven for about 30 minutes until the filling is set and slightly golden.
10. Remove the quiche from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
11. Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes Happy Cooking 👩🍳👩🍳👩🍳